Chadwell Coppus Technologies Blog
Preparation for Windows 7 End of Support
You have probably heard that Microsoft is dropping free ongoing support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020. That’s important because at that time you will have to upgrade to Windows 10 or risk not getting updates like security patches which could put your computer’s data at risk. You may have to even get a new computer because your old machine may not have the capability to run Windows 10.
Something equally important is doing the latest update for Windows 7 by the end of March. If you don’t have the latest update Microsoft won’t support your computer starting in April.
Some people have their computer update Windows automatically. To make sure if your computer has the latest update, do the following:
To see your PC’s update history, select the Start button, then select Control Panel > Programs. Under Programs and Features, select View installed updates. The latest version is KB4489885 as of March 12, 2019.
The best way to keep Windows 7 up to date is to turn on automatic updates. With automatic updates, you don’t have to search for updates online or worry about missing critical fixes or device drivers for your PC. Instead, Windows Update automatically installs important updates as they become available.
To turn on automatic updates:
- Select the Start button . Type Update in the search box, and select Windows Update from the list of results.
- In the left pane, select Change settings, and then under Important updates, select Install updates automatically (recommended).
- Under Recommended updates, turn on Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates, and then select OK.
To update manually do the following:
- · Select Start > Control Panel > Windows Update.
- · In the Windows Update window, select either important updates are available or optional updates are available. The system will automatically check if there's any update that need to be installed, and display the updates that can be installed onto your computer. Please note the update number that you can download.
- · Select the Download Center link, type the update number in the [Search] box
(e.g. KB2286198) and then click on the search icon or press the Enter key on your keyboard.
· Microsoft Download Center will automatically search for all contents related to the update number you provided. Based on you operating system, select the Security Update for Windows 7.
- · Select Download in the download page for KB2286198. A window showing File Download appears, select Open to install the file automatically after downloading.
The file will install automatically once you hit the open button.